Does Justin Rhodes gardening technique work for us?

I love Justin Rhodes permaculture chickens gardening technique, but I don’t have any chickens. So instead, I’m talking about stacking function and using your resources to the best of your abilities, and highlighting the differences and similarities between our vegetable gardens. I’m excited for the summer garden, and for checking out The Great American Farm Tour tonight.

__________
Subscribe and JOIN OUR JOURNEY! https://www.youtube.com/c/YouCantEatTheGrass?sub_confirmation=1.
__________
SOCIAL MEDIA
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/you.cant.eat.the.grass/
Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/you.cant.eat.the.grass/
Google+ | https://plus.google.com/u/0/+YouCantEatTheGrass
Website coming soon…
__________
SUPPORT US WHILE YOU SHOP
Want to support us for FREE shop from this link (we get a % of the sale)
__________
Ian and Serina of YOU CANT EAT THE GRASS feel that every small change can make a big difference to the world we live in. Every garden planted leads to a better future for ourselves and our children. We hope to inspire and motivate others to make positive changes in their lives by sharing our journey towards greater sustainability on our small urban homestead. Don’t dream, do!
__________
FAVORITE VIDEOS

PLAYING HOMESTEADING | defending Pure Living For Life

3 THINGS BLOGGERS WILL NEVER TELL YOU ABOUT KOMBUCHA

Urban Homestead 5 Minute Tour

Preserving our massive Eggplant Harvest

Comments

Sarah Lunafire says:

Girlfriend, just get yourself some chickens!! Build an enclosure around your compost. Ditch the compost bins. Put the chickens’s, Roost house ABOVE the Chicken run compost enclosure and only let them go out once in a while into your garden ( such as after harvest) they’ll become your compost Chickens!!
I have my chickens roost in a kids plastic playhouse which sits above the enclosed compost pile/heap. The chicken run foundation is bear ground with milk crates as the footings. 12” milk crate on top of hard packed ( urban backyard lawn), as a fortification. The run is built of wooden frame with Chicken wire ( to be upgraded to metal cloth) and metal pet pen ) next to that is a Truck Cap, also up on the overturned milk crates…throw in ALL Food scraps, garden and organic grass clippings, leaves, ripped up box board and paper, sawdust and woodshavings😊…I collect food scraps as kitchen and table scraps from restaurants, grocery stores and Friends and family.

Sarah Lunafire says:

LOVE THE DRESS!!

Dave W says:

Childer is the Lankashire (UK) dialect for children …… just saying ;0)

:: Something In My Mind :: :: SimM :: says:

Just present your product, do the talk and practical at the same time, dont just talk – so many audience out there, for me i'd like to see people do something in practical – i hope this will help your increase your presentation and subscriber. keep up a good work

Fensterfarm Greenhouse says:

Expect the unexpected when you watch Serina! lol You are a hoot sister. Love the info though!
Great presentation!
Chuck

yonis liban says:

SALUT GOOD JOB

Diana Mallory says:

Justin Rhodes just got you another subscriber, The name of your channel is something I say all the time! You can't eat the grass.

Two Family Homestead says:

Nicely done, unique style, well spoken.. oh yeah.. good information too! Now you have us looking for more!

Stoney Creek Heritage Farm says:

Great conversation and outlook! I think it's awesome you will also be donating excess produce to charity. Thank you for sharing.

Pepper Man says:

Ok, like your video am in. New sub 😊

Mo Primal says:

A great video from the west coast deserves a "hello" from the best coast. 😂 A new subscriber from Nova Scotia here. Cheers!

OFF GRID with DOUG & STACY says:

OMG lol going all out, thumbnail crazy and Justin in the title bwhahahahahahhahaha =) keep up the good work and yes, not every situation is the same THANK GOODNESS !

Kirsten Whitworth says:

Bravo! There's not just one path that fits everyone. I say, do what works for you – no apologies, no regrets.I'm now in NW Washington just across the Strait from Victoria, BC. I figured ducks were more appropriate here, though plenty of people raise chickens near me. It looks like you are doing an excellent job without chickens or poultry.

David B says:

Have you looked at Curtis Stone?

David B says:

I think you have more work to do.

Angie Lowenberger says:

Where did you get that beautiful dress? You look lovely

Athea Nicholls says:

Hi guys I'm a new subscriber came over from Justin and Rebecka, really enjoyed you're video and can't wait to see more of your videos in the future. Till the next video God bless and have a wonderful weekend. 🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱

Thomas Whitten says:

Chickens and other animals are really a big step. I don't have chickens and have not planed on them for a very long time. Yes, there's what they do for you but they are also not free of maintenance. Eventually, you'll have to feed them and there's always the prospect of a dog or something attacking them. So, chickens are not free. Just weight out what you have to put into them versus what you get out of them.

Greg Brown says:

Serina, thanks for the click bait, glam in the garden is better than looking at chickens. I wonder if when you harvest an area, you should make that spot into path and workup the old path into new bed, to rotate the garden a little at a time. The path would be harder to work being that it is compacted, but maybe if you had some pavers to put down and move, the compaction would be lessened. The pavers would last forever and not be muddy. Good luck.

City Homestead says:

I'm still trying to figure out how to start seeds properly. I'll try the soil blocks because the seeds I planted are having a difficult time sprouting. One can get dizzy going through everyone's garden designs, then looking at your own lot and wondering how to fit all those cool ideas into your own situation. I'm like you. I have to just see what fits my situation and run with it. I didn't want to start my market garden until I could do everything like Justin did. That is, until I saw the no dig method of Charles Dowding, and Paul Gautschi and so on, until I was losing sight of the joy of just putting in a garden…my way. I have adopted a lot of ideas I learned, but in the end, what worked best for me was just looking at the layout of my property and go from there. Now, I just have to be able to grow seedlings!

BackYard Self Reliance says:

you couldn't keep just a couple hens?
I would suggest rabbits. they are quiet but very helpful for the garden. the manure is gold! the meat is just a byproduct. 🙂

Ali Al garni says:

12:47 a little Mr Brown 😍

Shel's Homeplace Journal says:

Justin has 75 acres….you do what you can with what you have. I have chickens(7) and 2 ducks + 3 rabbits on a standard city lot(as per ordinance allowance). Ckickens are good off season in the garden, in season they are destructors. You can still rotate crops somewhat. Plus you've got a wood fence you can grow on…vertical. You can even grow on poles, or hanging. So many options! Rabbits are quiet and can be put in a tractor like chickens; on a limited scale they can dig and nourish the earth. If you make areas for wild birds(without cats) you can have the sparrows/other birds to help get rid of bugs.
You have a lovely garden! Each year you will find ways to make it suit your life more.

Maned Kangfoxaroo says:

I'd love to have chickens(I'd love to have a bunch of random animals) I couldn't keep them because I mostly only grow flowers and because my father is scared of chickens(She got chased a lot by them as a kid. It was super funny hearing that about him) Keep up the amazing videos as always!

ZiegenVine Homestead - Allison & Randy says:

As you are using the wooden soil block trays- we are trying out the chickens doing the work for us (since we have chickens). I gotta say the Premier 1 fencing is nice but super expensive.

And you have an awesome garden!!!

Chum Robarge says:

If you worked as hard as you have on your yard…on getting a rural property…you’d have chickens and all that jazz. We did it you can too

Sapper Gardener says:

Lovely update. It is great figuring out how to work with what you have. I try to learn from other gardeners/homesteaders but am careful not to compare my situations with theirs. So many different factors, even within the same city to consider.